Why are there so many statists and communists here on this list now?

Matt Beland matt at rearviewmirror.org
Tue May 6 20:58:55 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 08:02 pm, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 04:50:08PM -0700, Matt Beland wrote:
> > But in fact, I don't completely agree with your definition. A Cypherpunk
> > is one who is interested in the technology and use of encryption, and the
> > social and political effects thereof.
>
> By that definition, various federal agents, narcs, and prosecutors
> would qualify as ardent cypherpunks.

Yep.

Wrong-headed cypherpunks who must be corrected or destroyed, more than likely.
But cypherpunks none the less.

After all, just because their end objectives and motives are completely and
totally opposite to yours or mine does not mean there aren't significant
contributions they could make for our benefit. Just as there are things that
other, "correct" cypherpunks could do or have done which are or could be
detrimental.

--
Matt Beland
matt at rearviewmirror.org