Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue May 6 20:51:04 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 07:34  PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 08:50:12PM +0000, Justin wrote:
>> Interesting changes in this case means executive orders and increasing
>> harassment of individuals by financial institutions, which are
>> simultaneously forced to comply with continuously constricting
>
> To wit:
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1026_3-1000133.html?tag=fd_top
>> A bill that a House panel approved on Tuesday afternoon takes a
>> two-pronged approach toward curbing Internet wagers. It could require
>> Internet service providers (ISPs) to delete hyperlinks to offshore
>> gambling sites and would order credit cards and online payment systems
>> such as PayPal to identify unlawful transactions that might be related
>> to gambling.
>
> (Or E-Gold, or the other gold payment systems...)

Since "hyperlinks" are just strings of symbols, that is, speech, how is
"could require Internet service providers (ISPs) to delete hyperlinks
to offshore gambling sites" not an ipso fact, slam dunk violation of
the First Amendment?

What part of "Congress shall make no law..." is unclear?

They all need killing.

I really hope Osama kills that city and all in it.

--Tim May
""Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who
approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but
downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry