what moral obligation? (Re: DRM technology and policy)

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue May 6 13:02:02 PDT 2003

At 11:18 PM 05/05/2003 -0700, Steve Schear wrote:
>At 10:48 PM 5/5/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>>I believe that the Philips, who holds the trademark for compact disks, has
>>said that copy protected disks do not follow the standard and may not use
>>the trademark.
>
>If so, couldn't the labels selling be charged with deceptive advertising?

Only if the round pieces of plastic in decorative jewel box cases
are labelled "CD-ROM" and/or use the "CD" logo.
I've heard that some of the recent sellers of user-preventing round plastic
have responded, correctly, to Philips's announcements about the issue
by no longer labelling them as CDs.

At that point, the implied assertion that the round plastic container
for intellectual property packaging is a "CD" is no more deceptive
than the implied assertion that it contains "music".