Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

barabbus at hushmail.com barabbus at hushmail.com
Mon May 5 21:41:05 PDT 2003

At 11:53 PM 5/4/2003 +0100, Adam Back wrote:
>- Another potential and probably more likely to happen medium term
technology could be improvements in display technology making
telepresence more functional.  3d projective displays able to project
into free-space for example allowing basically free-form tele-presence.

>It would be harder for governments to attempt to tax remote workers,

>but they might try it anyway by passing the tax burden on to the
employers -- forcing them to collect local taxes against remote
workers.

I think you will find that an increasing number of professional workers
and some companies are moving underground.  This has not been uncommon
in some trades in which compensation was traditionally cash-based, but
the addition of professionals is, I think, something of note.  This article
discusses the trend of decreasing voluntary tax compliance within the
U.S.  "Tax Inquiries Fall as Cheating Increases," David Cay Johnston,
 New York Times, April 14, 2003 http://www.globalpolicy.org/nations/launder/regions/2003/0414inquiries.htm

>Another corporate trend to avoid US taxation is where companies move
their notional headquarters off-shore so that they are not taxed on
international sales.

>Either way the fact that companies are doing this suggests that
currently companies themselves are ahead of individuals in mobility to
avoid taxation.

In fact, many taxes individuals face are indeed mobility taxes.

Barabbus

https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate Program: