delusional US quarantines, Denver bioattack, sim

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon May 5 10:23:17 PDT 2003

The unfolding situation precipitated a series of increasingly stringent
containment measures.
          By the end of the first day, the Expert Committee issued a
travel advisory restricting travel
          in 16 Denver Metro counties. But, one person noted, "the
public was not [heeding] the
          voluntary travel advisory." Some people, in fact, were
reported to be racing out of the state.
          As part of the travel advisory, persons were advised to stay
home unless they were close
          contacts of diagnosed cases or were feeling sick, in which
case they were directed to seek
          medical care. As one observer noted: "They told 1 million
people to stay in their homes.
          How would we have enforced this?"

          When asked what would be possible if the situation actually
required it, the police and
          National Guard responded to the Expert Committee that they
would be unable to keep
          people at home. Another participant commented that by the end
of the exercise, "people
          had been asked to stay in their homes for 72 hours...How were
they were supposed to get
          food or medicine?"

"With borders closed, how were we planning to feed 4 million
people?...Many of the control measures
ordered were delusional."

http://www.hopkins-biodefense.org/pages/news/quarter2_2.html