Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Sun May 4 15:53:53 PDT 2003

Interesting discussion.

I'm thinking another inflection point which could tip the balance
would be some travel technology breakthrough -- 100x faster, 100x
cheaper (relative to individual wealth -- which itself increasing in
real terms over time as productivity improves due to automation,
efficiency, process improvement etc).  If you could shrink the world
so that people can basically commute from anywhere to anywhere for a
cost significantly less than the difference in tax rates between tax
havens such as Bahamas (0% income tax) compared with western direct
and investment tax rates of 40-60% and beyond marginal rates.

- This is mostly why I was disappointed to see the plans to scrap
concorde -- it was expensive in real terms due to current fuel and
current salaries as set by current economic climate; however with a
cruise speed of mach 2.0 it was 2.4x as fast as typical passenger
jets.  (Originally planned for mach 2.5 - mach 3.0, but material
science wasn't up to the task when concorde's were built in the 70s).

But scrapping them seems like a step backwards.  So there were
merchant bankers and celebrities jetting backwards and forwards from
new york on it.  But what wealthy are doing today can be what everyone
is doing some years on when things have become cheaper relatively
speaking.

- The other aspect of travel speed -- the crappy depature and arrival
procedures -- have gotten significantly worse since WTC terror attack.
The current political climate is as a result a poorer one for business
as it has basically increased the cost of travel (in convenience).

- So what about other travel: magnetic levitation trains, mag lev
trains in vacuum tubes, nuclear powered transport (with design margin
to amply cope with safety issues); and further out maybe
teleportation.

- The other issue is how governments would react to transportation
advances -- maybe just change tax laws so you get charged the max of
countries you work or reside in.

- Another potential and probably more likely to happen medium term
technology could be improvements in display technology making
telepresence more functional.  3d projective displays able to project
into free-space for example allowing basically free-form tele-presence.

It would be harder for governments to attempt to tax remote workers,
but they might try it anyway by passing the tax burden on to the
employers -- forcing them to collect local taxes against remote
workers.

Crypto-anarchy has interface problems also, it just allows you to be a
virtual remote worker because your location is no longer discernable.
Still governments may try to force local companies to pass the tax
burden on.

India is an interesting example of remote workers -- many US companies
are apparently moving jobs wholesale to India to try to reduce costs
in the face of poor economy.

Another corporate trend to avoid US taxation is where companies move
their notional headquarters off-shore so that they are not taxed on
international sales.

Either way the fact that companies are doing this suggests that
currently companies themselves are ahead of individuals in mobility to
avoid taxation.  This same principle should allow for example remote
workers, or virtual remote workers to work for the notional off-short
company.  Virtual identities with documentation demonstrating domicile
in Bahamas or other tax-havens should even allow a virtual worker to
work for a company under government imposed obligations to employ
virtual remote workers in the US.

Adam