whitehouse.gov taken over? Cheese-eating surrender monkeys...

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat May 3 23:58:12 PDT 2003

At 09:28 PM 05/03/2003 -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>On Sat, 3 May 2003, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> > At 07:15 PM 5/3/03 -0400, Adam Shostack wrote:
> > >Please register to participate.
> > >
> > >http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/04/20030430-26.html
> > >

> > Please tell me someone played a DNS game.
>

>Not at all: this is to be expected after the three minute hate...

Oh, right, who's today's target?  Are we still practicing hating Saddam,
or is it Bashar al-Assad this week, or the French?

Tim and Peter have been discussing the origins of
"Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys" and the general hatred of the Frogs,
but I've got to disagree with Tim's assertion that it's been going on
for a long time.  Sure, there's been some low-level dislike,
and Jay Leno's always made fun of their liking for Jerry Lewis,
and Parisians have a reputation for being as rude as New Yorkers,
but it seemed like there was such as rush of anti-French surrender jokes
and anti-French political commentary that it's more than just coincidence;
it seemed like the meme was being pushed hard and fast by somebody.

Perhaps the meme was just sitting around from DeGaulle's time,
waiting to be triggered by France's lack of participation in US Unilateralism
and unwillingness to join the COW coalition this time.
But it didn't seem that way.