Hippies Banning Smoke

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat May 3 18:16:43 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003, jburnes wrote:

> The one thing that really amazed me when I moved to Colorado is the number
> of middle aged hippie types that 30 years ago were blasting the
> establishment for  controlling what they wanted to smoke have now *become*
> the establishment.   A professor friend of mine was smoking some Drum and
> shooting the bull with me in  Pearl Street Mall (in Boulder).  Some new
> ager comes by and reprimands him for generating smoke.
> He wasn't even a middle-aged hippie.  The middle-aged hippie types are
> now running the city council, living in $500,000 homes and laying down nazi
> laws for the rest.

That my generation, once noted for their significant progress towards human
freedoms, has turned into the single largest source of repressive laws and
McCarthyesque attitude, is something I have sorrowfully noted for many
years.  That it keeps getting worse and worse is the only thing that
continually fucks with my mind :-/

How did we go from libertarians to fascists?

> Hypocrites. Animal Farm come true.  Sometimes I really wish for the
> 70's. Cheesy
> clothes and Jimmy Carter were small threats to world order.
>
> jim burnes

Amen.

--
Yours,