China (was Mike Hawash)

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Sat May 3 08:52:35 PDT 2003

On Thursday 01 May 2003 11:02, Tyler Durden wrote:
> Sunder wrote...
>
> "Not that I've been there, but the last I heard, China was still an
> almosttotalitarian communist state and free travel in China is not
> possible."
>
> Your information is almost staggeringly out of date....
>
> As for the totalitarianism part,as long as you don't complain too
> loudly about the government, you're fine for the most part
> (particularly if you have lots of $$$). (Although every now and then
> Jong Nan Hai will decide to crack down on something and you may come
> under fire.)

I recently tried to explain the American first amendment to my
soon-to-be stepson, who arrived from the PRC last September. He told me
that China has freedom of speech, too: if you say something bad about
the government, you won't go to jail for too long, maybe a few months,
maybe a year. It's not like in the old days when people would get in
trouble for that.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel

Guns will get you through times of no duct tape better than duct tape
will get you through times of no guns. -- Ron Kuby