Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Sat May 3 10:32:02 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 07:05  PM, Steve Furlong wrote:
> I'm not as confident of crypto's chances of destroying the state and
> leaving the parasites out in the cold.

I don't recall many discussions here about _timetables_ for such
developments. Certainly I don't think _I_ have been so foolish as to
say "Real Soon Now" or "Surely by the Year 2010!"

Recall that Vinge's "True Names" was set at some indeterminate time in
the future. Judging by the power of the computers, and modulo the fact
that he wrote it in the 1970s, probably no earlier than 2030. But he
was also careful not to specify the time.

Likewise, "Ender's Game" took place far into the future.

Which is not to say that science fiction novels determine the schedule!
But it lends support to my claim that few, if any, of us would be so
foolish as to predict when the full implications of strong crypto would
have a major effect on governments.

Arguably, some effects have been felt for years. And just as arguably,
some other effects (notably digital money) seem to be further off now
than they seemed to be when Digicash was still in existence.

The nice thing for libertarians and anarchocapitalists about working on
these sorts of ideas is that it beats the alternative: going to
Libertarian Party conventions and trying to convince neighbors to vote
for more liberty.  Or, as too many good technical people have done,
becoming lawyers. (Some of the skills are the same: the ability to
absorb a lot of seemingly-unrelated facts, the ability to argue
logically, and sometimes even an ideological edge. But since most
lawyers don't end up working on cutting-edge constitutional issues, and
since the constitutional issues are generally not moving in a
libertarian direction despite the efforts of cypherpunks-friendly
lawyers and scholars, I personally see going into "the law" as throwing
one's life away.)

I believe the great social and economic changes in history, affecting
people and government and nations, have been largely technological.
Geography is important, of course, too. But technology is something we
can change, so this is what humans should focus on.

These technological changes are obvious: metal-working, writing,
weaponry, plumbing, the printing press, the steam engine,
interchangeable parts, electrification, and all of the various
technologies of the 20th century, including the telephone, television,
birth control pills, and so on.

The printing press is one of my favorite examples, as it illustrates
how the "triad" of technology, law, and culture (similar to Larry
Lessig's triad...I think we developed these ideas independently, but I
haven't chased down who wrote what first) is "tipped" by major changes.
The Church and State, circa pre-Gutenberg, "owned" certain types of
knowledge, blessed by the medieval guilds: silversmithing,
leathermaking, etc. The royal patents were conferred based on
kickbacks, tithing, family connections, etc. Those who violated the
patents of the guilds faced various kinds of punishment, I suppose up
to and including death. Sort of like the Mafia stopping independent
producers of porn from producing movies (a friend in LA had this happen
to him).

Now the "lawyers" of that age might have argued in courts (such as they
were) that the power of the guilds should be broken, that greater
economic prosperity would result from breaking the guilds.

But little changed.

Then came printing (movable type). While the first books printed were
the obvious ones: hymnals, bibles, and other religious tracts, the
printers began to print "how to" books. Not consciously "Toolmaking for
Dummies" books, and not consciously "How to Undermine the Power of the
State by Building Your Own Waterwheel," these books were nonetheless
early how-to guides. Booklets on technology, on minerals, on all sorts
of things a farmer might want to know. For the first time, knowing how
to read was a useful skill.

Perhaps someone predicted the long-term implications of what this
spread of knowledge would mean. (Maybe Nostradamus was influenced this
way...I haven't looked for evidence.)

Someone trying to set a timetable for the sweeping changes would likely
have not gotten it right.

As someone wise once said, we tend to overestimate the short-term
consequences and underestimate the long-term consequences.

In the case of printing, the result over the following century or two
was a rise in literacy rates (in the common languages, and this is when
German, French, and English, for example, largely solidified into their
current forms, viz. the Luther Bible, the King James Version, etc.).
And the Protestant Reformation was built on printed words and on the
people's ability to directly read the religious texts.

A technology undermined the state and the church.

This was repeated several more times, with samizdats undermining the
power of the state in the USSR, with cassette tapes circulating in
Shah-led Iran, with videotapes widely available even where banned in
Islamic nations.

And e-mail, of course. E-mails to and from the dissidents in Beijing.
Repeated around the world.

Strong crypto, of course, offers the opportunity for a complete
bypassing of controls (more than just ciphers are needed, of course, as
stego must be strong, as remailers must be compensated, and so on).

Will the effects be that corner grocery stores are converted into
cryptoanarchist data havens? Of course not.

People will continue to buy and sell goods in their physical world, and
this will continue to be a nexus of control and taxation. (Just as
taxing land became more important after taxing knowledge, via the no
longer all-powerful guilds, became less important. Land remained a
nexus of control and taxation, as it does today. My property taxes
attest to that, and will not be going down in my lifetime!)

So, what changes may happen? Will enough tax evasion happen via
cryptoanarchy to make the people fed up and thus give rise to a
"tipping point"? (As the Reformation arguably was, with enough people
fed up with the selling of indulgences and having the ability to read
the religious words themselves.)

And so on. I could ask about a dozen speculations of what might happen.

But the point is not to predict some withering away of the state. The
point is that unfettered communication, with the already-extant ability
to use all sorts of alternative financial instruments (offshore
accounts, PayPal, E-gold, etc.), is already producing interesting
changes in the way the world works.

More such changes are likely. When, I don't know.

It could be that 5 years from now we'll be looking back a year or two
to the rise of a digital cash company which is having the same success
E-Bay had and saying "We knew it was coming."

(In fact, friends of mine, the late Phil Salin and his colleagues at
AMiX, had essentially identical plans for an auction service. And this
was as early as 1987, as I did some consulting for Phil in late '87 and
into '88. Their company was funded by Autodesk and they rolled out a
version of their auction service in 1990-91. This was before Net
connections were widely available--and commercial use of the Internet
was still problematic--and their system had some problems, like glacial
slowness. Also, instead of concentrating on a pure classified ads
model, with people selling their used ski equipment and Pez dispensers,
they concentrated on people selling their knowledge, their consulting
expertise. This was a mistake. But had Autodesk not decided to disband
both Xanadu (hypertext) and AMiX, they had a reasonable shot at being
the company E-Bay became several years later.)

But, getting back to this 5-year "prediction," I don't expect any
widespread digital money system in the next few years. Too many
regulatory hurdles (and regulators can slow things down, even if the
long-term trends are not in their favor). The current police state, the
U.S. sitting astride the world, giving orders. The money laundering,
terrorism, treason focus of prosecutors.

As you say:

> It's just as likely that the
> government(s) will declare all crypto illegal, except that necessary
> for the protection of their own secrets. Digital money is right out, of
> course. All in the name of anti-terrorism, or the War on Some Drugs, or
> for the chiiiiildren. Powerful computers, strong crypto, and big
> databases can lead either to anarchy or to an unstoppable Big Brother.
> Too close to call, right now.

The important thing is to not become so attached to a specific
prediction, or, worse, to a timetable, that one becomes discouraged.

Oh, and to repeat something I have said many times, I think starting a
company based on some imagined schedule for adoption of digital money
is a disaster. I could be wrong on this, and I even hope someone proves
me wrong, but I don't think I am.

("And in Year 3 of our business plan, the world converts to Digital
Anonibucks (TM) and we all become wealthy.")

Better to view digital money technologies as bits and pieces of
technology which will be gradually adopted and used by others. The
money will probably be made by folks who are qualified to work as
engineers and programmers in other companies.

Which is not to say people should not be thinking about forming small
companies to do interesting things. Whether in digital money or data
havens or timestamping, niches will exist. (But most of the people in
the world don't see any particular need for these technologies--the
technologies don't _yet_ do anything for them, and people don't usually
make huge efforts purely for ideological reasons...especially when the
ideology is not even theirs.)

I expect early adopters to be in the "illegal" markets: pornography of
various kinds (the most illegal kinds), on-line betting, information
selling (a la BlackNet), and tax evasion. For mundane uses, people are
happy giving credit card numbers and using relatively weak protocols
like PayPal (for convenience, not security).

But I've written about this in other articles, so no need to get into
it here.

The bottom line is this: we tend to overestimate short-term
consequences and underestimate long-term consequences. So don't give up.

--Tim May, Citizen-unit of of the once free United States
" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the
blood of patriots & tyrants. "--Thomas Jefferson, 1787