Why are there so many statists and communists here on this list now?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 07:08:03 PDT 2003

Steve Furlong wrote...

"Powerful computers, strong crypto, and big
databases can lead either to anarchy or to an unstoppable Big Brother.
Too close to call, right now."

Well, I haven't ruled out the possibility that governments will somehow
evolve to roll with the punches. Some new form of government may arise that
has characteristics we haven't seen before, or perhaps similar to some of
the Sci-Fi out there. (Wasn't it in Snow Crash where Stevens pictures
traditional governments basically in competition with numerous franchise
governments?)

For a long time now I've been very sceptical of any predictions of the
future for more than 5 years or so out. Technology and society have a way of
generating stuff that's beyond an individual's ability to predict, and
government might be the same.

Or not.

-TD

"I used to believe in gun control prior to the Patriot Act."
-Tyler Durden