Why are there so many statists and communists here on this list now?

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 3 06:49:39 PDT 2003

At 06:17 PM 5/2/03 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Perhaps more to the point, this list has always been about
>(at least I discovered it in late 1994) the social and political
>impacts of crypto and related technologies, and those are probably not
>incredibly friendly to a hyper-regulatory state.

Well, that part is still to be determined.  Maybe the direction of
technology will ultimately lead to the collapse of the nation state and the
rise of David Friedman style anarchocapitalist protection agencies to
replace it (good luck solving the military defense problem!), or maybe it
will lead to a global, "ubiquitous governance" implementation of
Singapore--clean streets, low crime, and economic productivity, all under
the watchful eye of the state.  Or another zillion possibilities, including
the apparently more likely ones that include continuing existence and power
of states, but with a change in the balance of powers in different
areas--no privacy in public, but enormous privacy in what you do on your
computer at home, etc.  Or an expansion of the current situation, where the
new technology results in less privacy from the government, but enormously
more privacy from neighbors and family members.  (Think of cellphones,
cordless phones, the internet, and home video rentals.  For most people,
keeping their nosy neighbors from knowing they watch porno films is more
important than keeping the FBI from knowing.)

>So, yes, the "Klansmen, feminists, nazis, Libertarians of any sort,
>Democrats, Greens, Republicans" are welcome. But may we ask in turn
>that they appreciate the vocabulary and literature?

A huge amount of the value of this list, for me at least, is that events
and news are seen through the lens of a certain kind of skepticism that
only security people seem to have, along with some technological
sophistication and a willingness to "think the unthinkable."  This is
consistent with a wide range of political and social and religious
beliefs.  It's how you can mix anarchocapitalists and greens and
anarchocommunists and various flavors of libertarians and various others,
and still get an interesting list with real discussion on it, instead of
endless flamewars.

--John Kelsey, kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
PGP: FA48 3237 9AD5 30AC EEDD  BBC8 2A80 6948 4CAA F259