Why are there so many statists and communists here on this list now?

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Fri May 2 19:05:24 PDT 2003

On Friday 02 May 2003 14:57, Tim May wrote:

> And as in that debate, where "free speech" is tossed around a lot,
> nothing in the Dixie Chicks case has involved freedom of speech in
> any way whatsoever. Think about it.

Tim, you're assuming that statists have the wherewithal to think. This
assumption has yet to be demonstrated.

> I do wonder why they are on the list given the implications of the
> technologies. I don't think they've realized the implications for
> their world view and for the breeders and useless eaters they
> support.

I'm not as confident of crypto's chances of destroying the state and
leaving the parasites out in the cold. It's just as likely that the
government(s) will declare all crypto illegal, except that necessary
for the protection of their own secrets. Digital money is right out, of
course. All in the name of anti-terrorism, or the War on Some Drugs, or
for the chiiiiildren. Powerful computers, strong crypto, and big
databases can lead either to anarchy or to an unstoppable Big Brother.
Too close to call, right now.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel

Guns will get you through times of no duct tape better than duct tape
will get you through times of no guns. -- Ron Kuby