Why are there so many statists and communists here on this list now?

Matt Beland matt at rearviewmirror.org
Fri May 2 16:50:08 PDT 2003

On Friday 02 May 2003 04:14 pm, Bill O'Hanlon wrote:
> I think my analogy is good.  I think your error is displayed by your
> analogy.  In your example, both groups are astronomers.
>
> In the current situation on this list, both groups are _not_ cypherpunks,
> if you accept the definition of cypherpunks as "people who use encryption
> technology to make statism impossible."  If you don't accept that
> definition, that's fine, but I think my definition is consistent with
> the history of the list, and my guess is that Tim would agree.  And he's
> the one who asked the question in the first place.  I think it's a good
> question, and I'm curious to hear the answer from one of the folks it's
> aimed at.

Accepting your definition for a moment, your analogy is still flawed because
it assumes one group is rejecting science altogether, where here the two
groups simply arrive at different conclusions from the same data.

But in fact, I don't completely agree with your definition. A Cypherpunk is
one who is interested in the technology and use of encryption, and the social
and political effects thereof. One definition assumes a conclusion, one
definition defines a group in search of a conclusion.

And really, my question would remain valid in either case. IF this list is to
be the home of any sort of useful discussion, then the discussion must
include both sides of the issue. Otherwise you don't have discussion, you
have dogma.

> You left statists out of your list, unless you were including them when
> you said "cranks" and "gun control nuts".  The original question was about
> statists.

Statists and communists both would be included in politician, Republican,
Green, Democrat, Libertarian, crank (though not only statists and politicians
fit there) and gun control nut. Just pick the flavor that matches the label.

> Some interesting people have left.  Other interesting people have
> joined and are contributing.

And being railed at as statists and communists. Oh, some interesting people
have joined on the other side, as well - but again, what value in one-sided
discussion?

--
Matt Beland
matt at rearviewmirror.org