Why are there so many statists and communists here on this list now?

Matt Beland matt at rearviewmirror.org
Fri May 2 15:08:20 PDT 2003

On Friday 02 May 2003 02:38 pm, Bill O'Hanlon wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 11:18:22AM -0700, Matt Beland wrote:
> > Why are you upset about it?
>
> It's a constant distraction.
>
> It's analogous to a radio astronomy mailing list constantly being trolled
> by flat earthers.

Bad analogy. It is more like a radio astronomy list being populated by
astronomers who support both the constant-expansion ("open") universe model
and those who support the eventual-collapse ("cyclic") universe model. Both
groups are astronomers, but because they are both intelligent people who
support different models, the models are constantly refined to prove one side
or the other.

> > If it's not for useful discussion, just let us know. We'll all leave, and
> > you can continue spreading the good word to precisely nobody.
>
> Once the flat earthers leave, the conversation will get interesting again.

Not supported by current evidence.

A few years ago, this list was highly interesting, and highly volatile.
Populated by libertarians, anarchists, crypto experts, feds, political
science students, scientists, cranks, gun nuts, gun control nuts, etc. Now?
Looks like you've driven most of the interesting people away. Who's left? The
ones who agree with you? Where's the fun in that?

Don't you get tired of talking into an echo machine?

--
Matt Beland
matt at rearviewmirror.org
http://www.rearviewmirror.org