China (was Mike Hawash)

Justin justin at soze.net
Thu May 1 19:27:26 PDT 2003

At 2003-05-02 00:25 +0000, Bill Stewart wrote:
> At 11:02 AM 05/01/2003 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
> > Sunder wrote...
> > > "Not that I've been there, but the last I heard, China was still
> > > an almosttotalitarian communist state and free travel in China is
> > > not possible."
> > Your information is almost staggeringly out of date....
>
> Interesting.  I've recently been reading a book by a guy who spent
> much of the mid-90s illegally tramping around the ethnic areas of
> western China (particularly the Tibet/Burma borders with Sichuan and
> Yunnan) trying not to get thrown out of the country too often.

Is that sort of like documented immigrants (not undocumented _citizens_
like Mexicans who live within earshot of the border, speak no english,
pay no taxes, and think they're part of Aztlan - perhaps there's an
analog to this class of _citizens_ in China; I'm no expert on politics
in East Asia) who are being jailed and kicked out of the United States,
also for just about no good reason at all?

--
Freedom's untidy, and free people are free to make mistakes and commit
crimes and do bad things.  They're also free to live their lives and do