Fake News for Big Brother

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Thu May 1 14:07:13 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 09:42:21AM -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 11:09:29AM +0200, Thomas Shaddack wrote:
> > If I speak for myself, the First Amendment applies.
> >
> > But should it apply even to corporations? Are such entities considered to
> > be persons? Should they have "rights"?
>
> How about Indymedia? How about a student newspaper collective? How
> about Slashdot and its editors? How about the New York Times' editorial page?

   That's obviously covered under the 1st's "freedom of the press". What does
that have to do with non-humans (corporations) having Constitutional rights? The
arguement always put forth is that corporations have the right to make campaign
contributions, because that's "freedom of speech". But I guess if those rights
are going to be extended to non-humans like corporations, then there's no way to
stop them from being extended to other non-human entities as well, such as
animals and trees. Or even rocks.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix