Quarantines may be justified

Vincent Penquerc'h Vincent.Penquerch at artworks.co.uk
Thu May 1 03:42:32 PDT 2003

> While we're at it, there should be a law against noisy kids playing

Why is it that many people here get red faced whenever someone
hints at their private property and can't even imagine that some
people might have a slightly different view of the world they're
in ?

Why do you want private property ? You want it because it helps
you live a better life, basically. So I'll pass the ownership of
land (as it's a dumb concept but unfortunately unavoidable to
enable the ownership of immobile goods (like what's built upon
it)), so property rights are just a visible barrier people put
between them and others.

It makes perfect sense to imagine this barrier having a different
geometry for other people. I, for one, am very annoyed at people
who take a bath in perfume and seem to have destroyed their nose
doing it for their lifetime.

Anyway, the whole thing is trying to live a better life through
a mix of interaction with others and separation from others. And
property rights is just a way to attain this. Someone needn't
start tinkering with your owned stuff to interact with you, be it
in a way you like or not. Property rights are only a part of the
notional barrier, which is really the barrier of where others'
freedom stops and yours begin. And it's a fuzzy barrier at best.
Property rights are just an attempt at codifying it, and not
perfect, though sufficient in a variety of ways.

<rant>
And to get back to this moronic argument that says "if you don't
like smoke, don't go downwind", have you fucking considered that
maybe I *didn't* go downwind, but the fucking smoker went upwind
of where I was ?
</rant>

--
Vincent Penquerc'h