Cheese-eating surrender monkeys

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Thu May 1 09:48:20 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 07:04  AM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:54:21PM +0100, Adam Back wrote:
>> Similar vein is the apparent overnight animosity towards the French
>> who happened to take a different view.  It all comes down to this same
>> blind following of leaders, and Bush's inane statements such as "if
>
> I think I'd largely agree with you about the bias in many news outlets.
>
> But as for the French: Well, a lot of Americans just don't like the
> French, and it has nothing to do with Bush. I took a bottle of French
> hard apple cider with me to a family gathering over Easter and got a
> round of boos for it, even though that part of the family is pretty
> evenly divided between GOP/Dems.

I fully agree.

Though I was, and am, against the war on grounds often discussed here,
the French have once again behaved in a tacky way. Besides their
ulterior motives (loans to Saddam, oil deals, want a piece of the pie),
they are now behaving about as they behaved in 1940.

"How many men does it take to defend Paris?" "Nobody knows...it's never
been tried."

"Why are there trees planted along the Champs-Elysee?" "So the Germans
can march in the shade."

"One million like-new rifles for sale...only been dropped once."

The right-wing columnist Jonathan Goldberg dubbed them "cheese-eating
surrender monkeys" several years ago, long before this latest matter.
Has a great cadence, and it's accurate.

Ever wonder why there are virtually no French folks on this list? A few
Belgians, and the one guy who broke one of the crypto challenges in the
mid-90s, though he was never much of a commentator on the list per se.
But essentially zero French input. I was once invited to give a talk to
"Imagina," a French-affiliated conference and trade show held in a
ritzy (literally) hotel in Monte Carlo. I was on a panel with David
Chaum and also gave a separate talk. I had a few days to talk to my
French hosts and panel arrangers, and also to some French journalists.
They were fascinated with the postmodern, deconstructionist,
philosophical implications of crypto anarchy...and they loved throwing
around references to Saussure, Foucault, and various other French
lit-crit figures, but the thought of actually programming computers or
building technology was, apparently, horrifying to them. No wonder
there are no longer any well-known French computer companies...Matra
has faded, Thompsen CSF is doing most of its real work in its
affiliates and owned companies elsewhere.

Finally, a personal story. I lived for more than a year on the French
Riviera, in the town of Villefranche sur Mer, between Nice and Monte
Carlo. A great experience. The beautiful Cap Ferrat, home to Somerset
Maugham, David Niven, and, later, the Rolling Stones, was visible from
my bedroom window. But the French people were describable with only one
word: ingrates. More than a few times we had French people lecture us
on what racists the Americans were...this even as their Algerian
problem was all around us. And one old French lady said "We should take
all of the Americans out in a boat and sink it."

This was in 1964, just one generation after the loss of hundreds of
thousands of American lives to liberate France and the rest of
continental Europe. This was after the French had put up only token
military resistance when the Germans rolled across their borders in
1940.

American soldiers fought and died where the French would not. (Yeah, I
know, they were all in "Le Resistance." Fatuous nonsense.)

This is probably why so many French hated the Americans so much, in a
way the Germans and Austrians and Italians did not. The Americans
defeated the Axis fair and square and the Germans knew this. They were
occupied by the conquering force for several years and moved on with
their lives, restarting their once-impressive economy and returning to
the forefront of nations. Except for the Nazi atrocities, with a fair
amount of honor left. The French, on the other hand, showed no honor.
And so they resented and despised the Americans for doing what they
themselves were unwilling to do.

Fuck them.

Again, I was and still am against "foreign entanglements" and
"pre-emptive wars," but if there's one good thing that comes out of
this war it's that the French are getting their comeuppance. Not only
are their loans to Iraq never likely to be repaid, but they are clearly
utterly out in the cold on the "rebuilding of Iraq" and on future oil
deals.

The cheese-eating surrender monkeys are now wining [SIC] that they
should be "included" in the aftermath of the war, that they should at
least be allow to send in literary theorists to explain the existential
significance of the war for the Iraqi people.

--Tim May