Fake News for Big Brother

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu May 1 06:39:42 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 10:40:27AM +0100, David Howe wrote:
> They aren't *knowingly* lieing - that is the point. Church types
> firmly believe hell exists, and only pestering a omnipotent and
> omniscient being (who therefore already knows what they

Are you sure that all "church types" are in it for the good of their
faith? Not one preacher or evangelist, in the history of mankind, has
secretly become an athiest but concludes: Hey, this is a pretty good
gig; I'm going to lie...

> Nope. but they should be prosecuted if they front-page splash it as
> "earth doomed, we have two weeks to live, there is no hope" and fail
> to mention that it is a religious prediction

Prosecuted? Put in prison? What the hell are you thinking?

> That is borderline. given that the accepted body of fact admits that
> the Holocaust not only happened, but was pretty much as described by
> the Jewish lobby, then any claims that it

You're a bit of a censorial twit, aren't you?

-Declan