Making Money in Digital Money

Steve Schear schear at attbi.com
Thu May 1 08:25:10 PDT 2003

At 06:19 PM 4/29/2003 -0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

>At 12:52 PM -0700 4/29/03, Bill Frantz wrote:
> >This view of the Digital Silk Road is quite different from the one
> >described in the paper, "The Digital Silk Road" by Norman Hardy and
> >Eric Dean Tribble <http://www.agorics.com/Library/dsr.html>.
> >However, Robert will enjoy the section, "No Junk Mail!".
>
>Fine. We'll call it the "original silk road". :-).
>
>It's Eric Hughes' sanctioned "piracy" distribution scheme, then.
>Sorry if I thought they were one and the same.

I attended Eric's July 1996 Defcon IV talk on what he called "Universal
Piracy".  He anticipated many of the potential problems with "recursive
auctions" and assumed that most successful content creators would get their
money through guarantors, like those that provide movie production
investors "completion bonds."  Creators would establish themselves by
giving away content until they established a sufficient reputation that
they could raise money prior to completion or even before commencement of a
new work, product or product update.  These ideas are now widely credited
to J. Kelsey and B. Schneier from their 1998, Third USENIX Workshop on
Electronic Commerce Proceedings paper, "The Street Performer Protocol"
http://www.counterpane.com/street_performer.html, and later more widely
publicized in a First Monday review article
http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue6_6/rasch/.  Eric refined his ideas
at a Cypherpunks meeting that fall (the first one I attended) in his
Berkeley house.  Its too bad he never published his ideas and got the
widespread credit he deserved.

steve