Low cost cruise missile

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jun 28 20:55:14 PDT 2003

Steve Schear <schear at attbi.com> writes:

>A New Zealand home handyman's bid to construct a cruise missile in his shed
>has made global headlines, and the British media have dubbed him a threat to
>world security.
>
>http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/05/1054700311550.html

Good grief, what a load of drivel!  I'm sure Bruce will be amused to hear that
the toys he plays with in his spare time are now a threat to world security...
I wonder what his pulsejet-powered go-kart would be classed as?  The
journalist obviously went to a lot of trouble phoning various agencies and
people for comment, but didn't spend 10 seconds with google to see that these
things are commonly available all over the world.

(I think Bruce may have, to some extent, shot himself in the foot a bit by
 presenting it the way he has, although given his talent for self-promotion
 I'm sure it wasn't accidental :-).  Maybe he'll get his funding now.  In any
 case anyone can buy a standard commercially-built jet engine or build their
 own from one of the zillion web pages devoted to this topic and have as much
 of a "cruise missile" as he has.  The guidance system is left as an exercise
 for the reader).

Must have been a really slow news day...

Peter.