Senators from Utah being Southern

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 07:35:02 PDT 2003

Morlock Elloi wrote...

>It all boils down to getting masses to farm out the inquisitivness and then
>servicing it.

Well, I think this is the case 99% of the time, but I don't think it has to
be. When most of the earlier scriptures were written, they probably served a
function vaguely similar to modern Journals now....a place were insights
were recorded so that others could build on the knoweldge base (if we ignore
considerations of whether the 'insights' correspond to reality, the analogy
with Journals is even more apropos.

Mostly, though, I agree. No wait, maybe I don't. Modern organized religion
is more about stegoing control commands into 'religious' teaching so as to
get the masses to support the status quo. For instance, "God wanted us to
invade Iraq because he loves us and our Christian country and hates Saddam
because he is evil". Actually, more than control signals there are messages
that inform the pious that their self-interest is at stake, and they don't
need to bother themselves with the morality of the war on US foreign policy,
etc...

-TD