Is Hatch a Mormon or a crypto Satanist?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Jun 21 11:24:30 PDT 2003

At 10:24 AM 06/21/2003 -0700, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>  > Is Hatch a Mormon?
>
>Surely you jest.  Anyone in any office in Utah is a Mormon.
>And most of the profs at the universities there.
>Good luck trying to buy a beer, BTW.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to Salt Lake City
ten years ago that not only was it no trouble to get a drink,
it was also no trouble to get espresso, which is my usual vice -
the Nordstrom's in the mall had their little stand out front.
It's apparently more trouble to get liquor up in ski country.

I've also found it was less trouble to get a beer and _dinner_
late at night than in much of California, though perhaps they
have rules requiring bars to also be restaurants.
(~midnight, about 6 blocks from the temple.)
The catch was that they were also less fascist about smoking in bars,
so I had to sit off at the less-crowded end of the bar
rather than near the TV with most of the other gentiles.