Destroying computers

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Thu Jun 19 08:59:59 PDT 2003

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 07:41  AM, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> At 01:07 AM 6/19/03 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
>> Methinks Mr Hatch is not a very bright man.
>
> A Southern senator.  Need I say more?

Except Utah is not in the South by anybody's definition.

> Of course, that astronomy Professor Usher would be pretty bummed when
> his research was toasted by an RIAA killbot, but then the Prof employs
>
> provocatory surname, no?  "Collateral damage" -hey, he could change his
> name, after all.  Maybe to David Nelson :-)

I was going to mention Prof. Usher in a follow-up I was mentally
planning a few minutes ago.

For those who may not have heard about him, he's a retired astronomy
prof. who included a .MP3 of one of his own songs on his Web site. The
record company conglomerate representing the negro minstrel named
"Usher" somehow found his site, found that it had .MP3 files, and made
the assumption the site was pirating the minstrel Usher's music. They
fired off threatening letters and demanded action.

Had Orrin Hatche's seek and destroy software been available, his site
would have been toast.

When the record company was informed of the truth, they proposed to
send him a free Usher t-shirt. Just what a retired white astronomy prof
wants, the t-shirt of a negro rap crapper.

--Tim May