MS Format Flames Re: An attack on paypal --> secure UI for browsers

Jamie Lawrence jal at jal.org
Sat Jun 14 17:14:41 PDT 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Bill Stewart wrote:

> If you want to give them something quasi-immutable,
> there's always PDF.  That lets you be rude _and_ proprietary :-)

Doesn't have to be proprietary. One of our pseudo-products is a PDF
generator built out of open source tools. Of course, most folks will
read it in Acrobat, but it works fine with xpdf, too.

> Microsoft does make free readers for Word and Powerpoint.
> They're only intended for running on Windows,
> but perhaps they work on WINE?

They do run under Wine. The occasional glitch, of course.

-j

Jamie Lawrence                                        jal at jal.org
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws"
   - Tacitus