The real problem that https has conspicuously failed to fix

Jeffrey I. Schiller jis at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 11 13:10:21 PDT 2003

Folks, this isn't an https (or even http) problem. It is a tough user
interface issue. Note: The form posting goes to www.pos2life.biz, which
doesn't remotely look like paypal.com!

To make matters worse, there are plenty of businesses that send you leg
imitate email that comes from a "random" looking place. Just today I
received one from MIT's Alumni Association, but the actual source was
something like m0.email-foobar.com (or something). Obviously the Alumni
Association outsources the sending of the mail to some third party
company. So even if we came up with some fancy was of saying "This form
doesn't post to the same place this page came from [never mind that the
original of an e-mail form is ill defined]" won't help.

I also received this scam mail. There were only two hints of badness
(besides the obvious request for personal info that paypal shouldn't
need) one was the form posting and the other was the "Received-by" line
which my mail system put on the message which showed its original at a
suspicious place (I believe in Japan, but I may have remembered wrong,
it didn't look right at the time).

This is a social problem. Technical measures can help, but won't solve
it, I am afraid.

			-Jeff