unregistered shell

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Jun 10 11:51:54 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 09:49  AM, Trei, Peter wrote:

>> Major Variola (ret)[SMTP:mv at cdc.gov]

>> But the real point is that ammo has to be registered.  Amazing.
>> I found an old, live cartridge in the desert last weekend, tossed it
>> in
>> the car.  What if I lived near DC instead of SoCal?
>>
> Actually, ammunition is not registered as such, but in DC you
> are only allowed to possess ammunition suitable for one of your
> DC-registered firearms. This applies even to spent cartridge
> cases.
>
> If this guy didn't own a DC-registered shotgun of the same
> gauge as the shell found, then he's in violation. The car
> had California plates, so it seems plausible that he was
> a non-resident.

I believe it was the McClure-Volkmer Amendment (or somesuch spelling)
of some years back that clarified the laws regarding interstate
transport of firearms. Instead of having to know the details of every
single state one might be driving through on a trip, one was exempted
from the local firearms laws while the guns were locked up in a trunk
or suitable lockable container. This was hailed at the time as a major
step towards stopping one state from busting those from North Carolina,
say, when they passed through Maryland on their way to a hunting trip
in Maine.

The reasonable interpretation of McClure-Volkmer would have protected
someone while in  their vehicle, and probably while at a motel in some
state, but would not have protected those staying for more than what a
simple trip would take.

I'm not surprised to hear that some jurisdictions think they can exempt
themselves, especially for such trivial paper violations as having a
shotgun shell.

Mexico is like this, too. Gringos have spent time in Mexican jails
because they neglected to thoroughly inspect every square inch of their
vehicles, and the shakedownistas found a .22 cartridge under the floor
mats. (The intent was probably to collect $100 mordita.) All this while
drug operations run more or less without interruption and as they are
equipped with fully-automatic HKs and FALs, the Army-issue rifles. So
they bust a tourist for having a .22 cartridge while MP-5s and Uzis
abound. Typical government.)

As for Bill's point about a gas can strapped to the roof, this is a
common way of carrying extra fuel, and is generally legal if the can is
DOT approved (the red ones). LandCruisers and suchlike are often seen
this way. As noted, safer than carrying them inside.

Of course, normal rights and liberties are dispensed with when mere
suspicion of planning to use the gas is involved.

I'll bet this all gets kicked, unless an Arab was in the vehicle.

--Tim May