Maybe It's Snake Oil All the Way Down

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Jun 5 17:54:21 PDT 2003

Eric Rescorla <ekr at rtfm.com> writes:

> This isn't really true in the SSL case:
> To a first order, everyone ignores any extensions (except sometimes
> the constraints) and uses the CN for the DNS name of the server.

Except some CAs make certs that can only work as an SSL server and not
an SSL client, or don't work with certain verifiers, or can't be
parsed right, or have the "commit-bit" set on some extensions.  It's
been a major pain in a problem that I'm working on -- not all vendor's
certs work properly.

> -Ekr

-derek

--