SIGINT planes vs. radioisotope mapping

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 18:13:27 PDT 2003

Tim May wrote...

"Landline signals are vastly harder to pick up, and I doubt strongly that
every minorly-radiating landline signal is being picked up."

Of course, optical signals could never be remotely detected by air or even
without an optical tap. I doubt even aerial optical cable readiates enough
or in such a way as to be remotely detectable.

However, the vast majority of "last mile" installations are still copper,
and copper does radiate. But I can't see how that could be detected by air
either. Even if there's enough radiation, it's going to get scattered and
diffracted to hell and gone as it passes through the sheath, concrete, and
then air.

ANd of course, there's the bandwidth issue. In even a medium sized metro
area the sheer number of landlines will be huge, and any businesses will be
shipping out their traffic via T1 or fractional T1. Hence, one of those
airplanes would practically need a small CO to demultiplex all that traffic
(although even off-the-shelf silicon has come a LONG way from the 5ESS days,
so the size factor will not be something to sneeze at).

Nah. Any such AWAC-type recon 'surveys' must be seeking out targeted
information somehow. Perhaps there's some kind of electronic 'red dye' that
allow a specific set of users' calls to stand out? Is it possible that
'interesting' landlines are dropped-and-continued on to some narrowcasting
point for air? This might be their way of getting around the TIRKS and
provisioning issues related to moving those lines a long distance, and
possibly through multiple carriers (but then again, that just might be what
DISAs' recently announced GIG-BE network is supposed to solve!)

-TD