Censorship, link prohibition

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Tue Jun 3 13:06:29 PDT 2003

(from politech, with additions)

The New York Times article is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/02/national/02INTE.html

Excerpt:
>Judge Lewis ruled on May 6, before Mr. Max was notified of the suit and

>without holding a hearing. She told Mr. Max that he could not use
"Katy"
>on his site. Nor could he use Ms. Johnson's last name, full name or the

>words "Miss Vermont."
>The judge also prohibited Mr. Max from "disclosing any stories, facts
or
>information, notwithstanding its truth, about any intimate or sexual
acts
>engaged in by" Ms. Johnson. That prohibition is not limited to his Web
>site. Finally, Judge Lewis ordered Mr. Max to sever the virtual remains
of
>his relationship with Ms. Johnson. He is no longer allowed to link to
her
>Web site.
>The page of Mr. Max's site that used to contain his rambling memoir now

>has only a reference to the court order.

The Max story is mirrored here:
   http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Katy-Johnson

(The preamble here, authored by the mirrorer, is an excellent read.
As he says: "Ms.Johnson has not thus far sued him for libel, only for
revealing
"embarassing private facts". Ms. Johnson is indisputably a public figure
who holds herself out as a moral
example, so the legal standard for proving either libel or invasion of
privacy would be quite high.")

Katy Johnson
                    Katy Johnson was Miss Vermont in 1999 and 2001. She
has a relatively sucessful website
                    (http://www.katyjohnson.com) promoting abstinence
until marriage and general sexual purity.
                    Tucker Max wrote a story about all of the nasty
sexual things she did to him and posted it on his
                    website (http://www.tuckermax.com). Johnson sued
Max. As a result, Max is receiving the huge
                    amount of publicity he desired. His picture was on
the front page of the 7 May 2003 Chicago
                    Sun-Times. Meanwhile, Johnson's image has been
widely tarnished because of the publicity
                    drawn by her suit. Gun. Foot. Bang!
http://www.munsoned.com/people/list.cfm?person=125

There's a flashless site at http://www.pageantcity.com/signon.html
where you can ask her a question.  We have, viz. what she thinks Monica
was
talking about:
     I think people have not quite gotten their hands around the
speed at which information can be disseminated online.
-Monica Lewinsky, LATimes 9 may 01