"PGP Encryption Proves Powerful"

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sun Jun 1 19:21:41 PDT 2003

    At 11:18 AM 6/1/03 -0400, Ian Grigg wrote:
 >There is a reason that the AK47 is the weapon of
 >choice:  it is an extraordinarily simple weapon.
 >Training is probably about half the requirements
 >of say the M16.  That makes a difference, much
 >more so than, say, the increased accuracy of the
 >M16!

Got evidence?  The benefits of the AK involve
the *weapon's* robustness, not its user interface.
Also, a 7.62 beats a 5+change mm any day.

 >Phsycologically, it makes us unhappy to realise
 >that the 911 attackers were actually quite simple,
 >so we don't.  We build up Osama bin Laden to be
 >a mastermind, a sort of James Bond-qualified evil
 >guy who constructs plans of insidious cunning.

OBL is at least 2 standard deviations smarter than
Bush, and probably one more than Rummy too.
Thinking otherwise is buying into the "madman" propoganda.

 >All this is a long winded way of saying your
 >average terrorist is much more like your grandma
 >when it comes to tech.  Highly competant in the
 >kitchen, but can't send an email to save herself.

Except that post sat-phone, the Base has plenty
of motivation to train well in opsec.  Or catch
a tomahawk.  You working for Fox News these
days?   Or just wishful thinking?