Apple's "Rendezvous" bites "Itunes"

Jamie Lawrence jal at jal.org
Sun Jun 1 10:20:12 PDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 12:23:25PM -0500, Jamie Lawrence wrote:
> > If you bought a 'product' from a closed system and didn't take self
> > help measures, why are you surprised when that closed system changes?
> >
> > Really, there's no story here.
>
> That's true at one level -- it was expected when security is breached
> (or appears to have been breached; I haven't looked at the details myself).

Not sure that's I'd call it a security breach - it is a design
change. One that is actually quite easy to work around,
although Apple's intention is not really hurt by that fact.

> But then again when you have millions of people affected, that's generally
> a solid news story, in my experience.

Good point. I'm not a journalist, so my first take on things doesn't
tend to run in that direction.

> -Declan

-j

Jamie Lawrence                                        jal at jal.org
"They [RIAA,MPAA] are trying to invent a new crime:
interference with a business model."
   - Bruce Schneier