Secure IDE?

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Wed Jul 30 17:43:24 PDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Trei, Peter wrote:

> No, I have no idea what this actually means either.
> I'm trying to find out.

It means it pre-encrypts your data before it's actually put on the drive.
In addtion the key is kept in a removable dongle of some sort so you can
take it with you. In other words the only bytes on your physical drive are
encypted.

If the part in possession of the drive doesn't have the key then they
can't decrypt it (at least in their theory) without brute force.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage at ssz.com                            jchoate at open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org