Big Brother is watching you - and documenting

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Wed Jul 30 16:30:00 PDT 2003

eBay, ever anxious to up profits, bends over backward to provide data to
law enforcement officials

"I don't know another Web site that has a privacy policy as flexible as
eBay's," says Joseph Sullivan. A little bit later, Sullivan explains what
he means by the term "flexible." Sullivan is director of the "law
enforcement and compliance" department at eBay.com, the largest retailer in
the world.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=264863&contrassID=2&subContrassID=5&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y&itemNo=264863

Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the
government's purpose is beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert
to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest
dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal,
well-meaning but without understanding. -Louis Dembitz Brandeis, lawyer,
judge, and writer (1856-1941)