Someone at the Pentagon read Shockwave Rider over the weekend

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Tue Jul 29 15:58:56 PDT 2003

At 15:13 2003-07-29 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 04:20  PM, John Young wrote:
>
>>Tim May wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, a bunch of "ideas futures" markets have existed for nearly a
>>>decade. An acquaintance of mine, Robin Hanson, was actively promoting
>>>such things in the late 80s and may have been involved in some of the
>>>Extropians-type markets which arose a few years later (I recollect
>>>several efforts with varying degrees of success).
>>
>>Yes, Robin Hanson worked on DARPA's PAM program. Here's
>>his e-mail about it in May 2003:
>
>Too bad, as he should have seen the shitstorm which would materialize as
>soon as this actually reached the public radar screen. Now that's gone
>public and been deep-sixed less than 24 hours later, it will likely be the
>end of this particular thing.
>
>An official, above-board version is likely to be ipso facto illegal for
>the same reason office baseball pools are illegal: illegal gambling. If
>the Pentagon can run a betting pool for its employees on when some event
>will happen, office workers can bet on the outcome of the World Series,
>and anyone can bet on the numbers revealed by the Mob.

I believe DARPA sought and received an opinion letter from the SEC and DoJ
regarding this venture which provided that, being the government, they were
"immune" from prosecution for violation of gambling and unregistered
securities violations.  You are correct, however, that should the DoD
venture have gone forward there would have been quite an uproar from
domestic and international gaming companies questioning the authority to
grant this sort of dispensation to the Feds.  Fo example, the WTO (World
Trade Organisation) this week granted Antigua and Barbuda the right to a
hearing over its long-standing complaint against the United States, which
has restricted the right of US citizens to gamble online - a major lifeline
for the Caribbean jurisdiction's economy.
http://www.tax-news.com/asp/story/story.asp?storyname=12733

steve

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think
things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and
taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he
lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable."  --H. L. Mencken