[eff-austin] Nonprofit Hackers Who Broke Windows (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon Jul 28 21:52:50 PDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 04:46:34 +0000
Subject: [eff-austin] Nonprofit Hackers Who Broke Windows

The Hackers Who Broke Windows
By SecurityFocus

The Last Stage of Delirium, the hacking group that laid open nearly every
version of the Windows operating system last week, could use a little sleep,
writes Deborah Radcliff of SecurityFocus. Since going public with the RPC
buffer overflow bug that some are describing as the worst Windows security
hole in history, the group has been caught in a media frenzy.

The hubbub has been just as bad as when, in April, 2001, LSD broke Argus
Systems' PitBull security software in a contest for $50,000 in cash. (After
the media glare faded, the team was stiffed for $43,000 of the prize money.)
Then, as now, the work and its media aftermath kept them up at night when
they'd rather be home with their families, said Tomasz Ostwald, one of the
four founders of LSD, during a phone interview at 9:00 at night, Poland
time. "This has been going on for three weeks. We had to work all weekend,
even Sunday," he said with his thick Polish accent. "We're still taking at
least two media calls a day."

Delirium was dreamed up in 1996 by four security engineers who'd just
graduated the master's of computer science program at Poznan University of
Technology in Western Poland. Now all between the age of 27 and 28, they
manage the security infrastructure for an academic and scientific
supercomputing center in the university town of Poznan, where they all live.
They also do security engineering consulting and penetration testing for
other clients.

By night, they crack software.

Their day jobs are not to be confused with the work they do with LSD, says
Ostwald. And even though they liken themselves to other hacking groups such
as the Cult of the Dead Cow, don't call the LSD members hackers: They'd like
you to call them security engineers instead.

But in the truest sense, these engineers are indeed hackers. What's
different between their non-profit group and a number of earlier code
cracking groups is the way they conduct themselves. Along with their
technical skills, these researchers possess unusual business and media
savvy, say their peers.

"The LSD team always seems to find problems in critical core technologies,"
says Chris Wysopal, director of research and development for @stake, Inc.,
in Cambridge, Mass., which also does vulnerability testing on software
applications. "They handle themselves professionally with the technology
community and are able to span the cultural and language barriers between
Poland and the U.S."

The LSD's research is also impeccable (for example, a 50-page paper that
exposed implementation vulnerabilities of Java) -- far better than anything
produced by the l0pht, the hacking group that grew up to become @stake,
Wysopal adds.

Exploit Controversy

But LSD hasn't completely escaped criticism. In March, the group put itself
at the center of a controversy when it released exploit code for a Sendmail
vulnerability discovered by Internet Security Systems.

"As a security vendor, we don't think it's good business to post exploit
code because it enables bad guys to break into systems," says Chris Rouland,
vice president of ISS's X-Force team in Atlanta.

Ostwald says the group decided to release the Sendmail exploit code because
ISS was overstating the threat posed by the bug. "When a threat is
overestimated, it makes it hard to perform appropriate risk management. So
we put the exploit code out for testing and proved that the threat was not
as serious as the vendors claimed," Ostwald says.

Off the record, at least one security company now criticizes LSD for not
posting exploit code for the Windows RPC bug. "How do you prove the bug
without the code?" the source said. But because the bug affects so many of
the Windows operating systems, releasing the exploit code would not have
given IT managers enough time to patch, counters Ostwald. Wysopal agrees.
"If [they] released the code to the Windows buffer overflow attack too soon,
we'd have another SQL Slammer on our hands," says Wysopal.

Besides, people are already developing the exploit code anyway, says Tim
Mullen, CIO of AnchorIS.Com, and a SecurityFocus columnist. And Rouland says
ISS had developed exploit code four hours after news of the bug was released
to the public.

When they're not trapped between the proverbial rock and hard place of
releasing or not releasing exploit code, LSD members are generally praised
-- even by ISS -- for the way they conduct themselves professionally. The
group now enjoys even-handed relationships with vendors. That wasn't always
the case, says Ostwald. "In the past two years, we've observed improvements
in the way software and anti-virus vendors respond to our findings."

Delirium contacted Microsoft's security response center through its
Secure at Microsoft.com address on June 27, says Stephen Toulouse, security
program manager for Microsoft's response center.

"From our standpoint, the entire process with them [LSD] was completely
professional. And we appreciate them not posting the exploit code to give
our customers a fair chance to install the patch," Toulouse says.

If there's one niggling problem with the group's image, it's their name.
Ostwald says he can't remember how they came up with "The Last Stage of
Delirium." "But lately," he says. "We've been thinking we should change it."