A 'Funky A.T.M.' Lets You Pay for Purchases Made Online

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Fri Jul 25 12:45:31 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:50:47AM -0700, Steve Schear wrote:
| I've used the graphics and explanations that were in Digicash's Users Guide
| with non-technicals to great effect.  They portrayed blinding using
| envelope, wax seal and wax token.  The token was placed in the envelope and
| sent to the mint.  The envelope represented the blinding function performed
| by the user's SW.  The wax seal: the mint's digital signature pressed onto
| the envelope and "by pressure" into the enclosed coin which has not been
| seen by the mint.  And the wax token, once removed from the envelope, the
| un-blinded coin.

Bzzt.  Thank you for playing.

If anonymity loves company, you can't spend 20 minutes explaining what
you mean to each person you want to use your system.

They have to figure out why this is private and that ain't, and they
need to do it in a way that works for the privacy threat that they
worry about.

"This is like a credit card number that can only be used once, so you
don't have to worry about someone hacking their store."

"This is like a travellers check that prevents ID theft."

Adam

					               -Hume