A 'Funky A.T.M.' Lets You Pay for Purchases Made Online

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 06:59:52 PDT 2003

"So it's best to ignore the "unwashed masses" and their inability to
understand untraceable money."

That's precisely the wrong conclusion, assuming everything else you wrote in
this post is correct.

If one accepts that most young people don't understand the notion or
implications of truely digital "cash", then one's tactics must change
considerably.

If de-empowering some aspects of the State is your goal, a new constrant is
that your methods must not rely on anyone giving a crap about your goals, or
possibly of digital cash. This does not mean that these ideas are destined
to flounder, but instead it may mean that for them to have life they must
find it somewhere where people can understand their usefulness. For
instance, I can easily see some notions of untraceable digital cash finding
applications over certain kinds of P2P networks. But if you continue to
discuss the issue in the abstract, or purely in the context of de-stating
the state, the youngins won't pay attention long enough for them to
recognize why this may be useful to them. Eventually, however, they'll find
the need for these ideas and do their homework.

-TD