Jerk with a t-shirt

Jack Reed jr0280 at albany.edu
Thu Jul 24 05:38:24 PDT 2003

At 06:42 AM 7/24/2003 -0400, Steve Furlong wrote:
>On Wednesday 23 July 2003 09:18, Tyler Durden wrote:
>
> > But it sounds like a rehash of the mall incident
>
>You don't know what you're talking about. This happened just a few miles
>from me, so perhaps I've paid closer attention than you have. T-shirt
>man wasn't merely minding his own business while wearing an offensive
>shirt. He was stepping in front of people and haranguing them in front
>of a large anchor store in the mall. After a while he was asked to
>leave by a store employee, so he took himself to the food court and
>repeated the procedure. After complaints from several mall patrons, a
>security guard asked T-shirt man to either knock it off or leave.
I live in this area too and this is far different than the one I
heard.  The description of events that I heard was that he was bothering
*no one*, simply walking around wearing a shirt.  The mall did make that
claim but I haven't heard anyone else say he was bothering anyone.  The
newspaper story said they mall had one complaint about him, not "many."
Also, the subsequent patrons wearing "Give peace a chance" where booted too
and they were definitely not bothering anyone.  Only when public pressure
came to bear did they relent.

>T-shirt man refused, growing more and more aggressive, and eventually
>the local cops came along and arrested him. (I may have fudged some
>details, as I'm working from memory, but I don't think I screwed up
>anything important.)

Let's see, you believe you're engaging in protected speech, rent-a-cops
come and tell you to stop, and you don't believe you have to. If you're
going to lie down if you believe you have a valid argument then that's
really weak.

I happen to agree with those who said that since he was on private property
the property owners had every right to boot him off. I just think you
should do a little more fact-checking before you post.

Jack