Fwd: [IP] Gilmore bounced from plane; and Farber censors Gilmore's email

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 06:18:41 PDT 2003

Eric Cordia wrote...

"I mean, a 1 inch button, for Christ's sake.  They must have had to use a
magnifying glass to read the slogan."

Actually, that's an interesting point. Let's first of all remember that
Gilmore was allowed onto the plane in the first place, so airport security
didn't care or notice. And it doesn't seem that onboard Gilmore was causing
a ruckus or creating the sense of insecurity. And I'm willing to bet that
none of the staff actually felt/believed that the guy was a threat (let's
assume they have the right to remove somebody that perceived to be a
threat). So clearly this was punitive.

No don't get me wrong, I would have thought the guy was a little bit of dick
for "spooking the straights", and I would have been tempted (note the word
tempted) to punch that button off of him so we didn't have to turn around.

But it sounds like a rehash of the mall incident...had he walked onto the
flight with a button that said "I support our troops", he wouldn't have been
thrown off. Thus everyone has become a kind of thought cop....but what
they're enforcing is not the collective perceived reality, but what most
people believe the collective perceived reality is supposed to be. There're
cracks already though, and the fact that NY Times ran that photo on the
front page the other day means a lot, actually...

-TD