A day in the life

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Sun Jul 20 20:01:03 PDT 2003

J.A. Terranson (2003-07-20 21:07Z) wrote:

> So I have seen two separate businesses today who are just shooting themselves
> in the head over the acquisition of data in the face of obvious
> refusal.

But isn't that because TPTB have decided they want their own
person-database (if only for the citizens of YourCity, YourState and
people who frequent it), but don't want to pay real money to get a good
one?

I'm surprised they didn't ask for your SSN ... as an index for the
database...

I've adopted a SSN I use for idiots like that.  I don't know whether
it's assigned, but it's in the valid range.  Isn't that just terrible.
Some day, some data miner with my "ssn" is going to have a coronary when
the "unique" key fields collide.  I can only hope the wretched soul
would pull a Nietzsche and live out the rest of life in a
quasi-unresponsive state, a small penalty given the consequences of the
new world order s/he helped create.

Even better if the data miner is a power company or telephone company
employee.