[Dewayne-Net] RE: [IP] Gilmore bounced from plane; and Farber censors Gilmore's email

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Sun Jul 20 09:16:17 PDT 2003

At 11:08 2003-07-19 -0700, you wrote:
>[Note:  This comment comes from reader Dave Hughes.  DLH]
>
>At 10:16 -0700 7/19/03, Dave Hughes wrote:
>>From: "Dave Hughes" <dave at oldcolo.com>
>>To: <dewayne at warpspeed.com>
>>Subject: RE: [Dewayne-Net] [IP] Gilmore bounced from plane; and
>>Farber  censors Gilmore's email
>>Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:16:12 -0700
>>
>>This, of course, is the same John Gilmore - whose wealth from being a
>>original designer of Sun systems permits him to tilt at political
>>windmills by lawsuits - is the same guy who, after I was invited by
>>Glenn Tenney to make a presentation from a West Point
>>military-background point-of-view soon about 9/11 soon after it happened
>>at the Hacker's Conference, in a plenary room full of perhaps 300
>>hackers, said words to the effect 'We all know that 9/11 was a
>>conspiracy by the Bush Administration who flew the airplanes into the
>>twin towers.'
>>
>>Which immediately caused such an uproar in the, crowd, many of whom (but
>>only some - since the Hackers Conference is usually in California and
>>dominated by scads of flaming liberals)

Its been my experience that many of my friends who attend these events tend
to be more "classical liberals", that is, libertarians.

>>were still raw emotionally after
>>the massacre of 9/11, and I might even say outspokenly in the support of
>>the Administration in the time of unknown future Terrorists threats,
>>damned near came over the seats in the audience and attacked him. He
>>made lots of those in attendance very angry. (Not me, I learned long ago
>>from my military background to suffer the rantings of fools from either
>>the extreme left or the right without getting upset)
>>
>>British Airways may have called Gilmore's insistence on wearing the
>>in-your-face badge 'poor taste' - I would simply brand it, as many of
>>Gilmore's outrageous pronouncements, the use of 'very bad judgment.'

Yes, its often 'bad judgement' to express widely held, but seldom spoken, POVs.

>>Guess he's never heard of US court's limitations against using 'free
>>speech' as a defense against the consequences of falsely yelling 'Fire'
>>in a crowded theater.

Except when there really is a fire, which is certainly the case here.

steve

"There is no protection or safety in anticipatory servility."
Craig Spencer