Optical Tempest? I have my doubts...

Mike Rosing eresrch at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 17 12:48:47 PDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Tyler Durden wrote:

> The conspiracy theorist is telling me there's some reason they floated the
> optical tempest story, though I can't quite figure out what that reason
> is...

The main purpose is for academic gain.  If you'd looked at the paper a
bit, you'd have read it took about 1/2 an hour to reconstruct the image
from one screen.  It is a proof of principle concept, enough so that
multi-billion dollar espionage agencies can think about it.  At 30 fps
for a game, forget it.  But for a slow typist who has to go get a cup
of coffee because the phone rang....

It does make the game more interesting, but it's mighty easy to defeat.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike