MRAM, persistence of memory

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Tue Jul 15 06:29:21 PDT 2003

You could get one of those power strips with a power button intented to be
operated by foot.  Provided you've encrypted everything on your system
including all network traffic and swap, pushing the big red switch should
do the trick. :)

Not exactly an open source solution, but it may well be effective.

In all likelyhood the flashbang armored ninjas with automatics, night
vision, "get the fuck on the floor and shut the fuck up bitch" entry will
happen while you're asleep, so you won't have time to hit the big red
button anyway.

So, the best way to avoid that situation and not being able to reach the
big red switch, is simply not to attract their attention in the first
place by not following the footsteps of Jim Bell.  :)

A more likely, and far more important, scenario to worry about is the
black bag job whereby a hardware keystroke recorder can get installed
without your knowledge...

There may be ways to prevent/detect this...  Software (open or closed
source) alone won't help very much.

 + ^ + :25Kliters anthrax, 38K liters botulinum toxin, 500 tons of   /|\
  \|/  :sarin, mustard and VX gas, mobile bio-weapons labs, nukular /\|/\
<--*-->:weapons.. Reasons for war on Iraq - GWB 2003-01-28 speech.  \/|\/
  /|\  :Found to date: 0.  Cost of war: $800,000,000,000 USD.        \|/
 + v + :           The look on Sadam's face - priceless!
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------