Idea: The ultimate CD/DVD auditing tool

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Tue Jul 8 16:09:24 PDT 2003

At 03:14 PM 7/8/03 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>As for hearing heterodyning in 28 KHz and 30 KHz signals, maybe. CD
>players have brickwall filters to of course block such frequencies.
>Some analog groove-based systems can have some kind of signal up there
>at those frequencies, but not much.

Regular vinyl is (was) also recorded with all kinds of filters, too,
including the lowpass ones.

If you cut vinyl (or metal) through a signal chain that didn't
impose the filtering, perhaps the ultrasonics would remain,
which is perhaps the analogophiles claim.  You would need
a special vinyl cutter though.  Some of the filtering imposed
on vinyl was to not fry the cutter, or otherwise deal with its inertia.

(BTW, I thought your Monster USB cable was a prank.. its not..
some folks just don't get digital..)