Idea: The ultimate CD/DVD auditing tool

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Jul 8 11:18:21 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 10:40  AM, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

> A curiosity, only tenuously related - I just came across a Feb 1994
> copy of
> Elector magazine, with plans for a S/PDIF copybit eliminator (for
> SCMS).
> Seems people have been defeating copy protection for a while..

I've owned an "Audio Alchemy" SCMS-stripper since 1991, when I bought
my first DAT machine. It cost about $99, was about the size of a deck
of cards, and stripped the SCMS bits out of the digital bitstream.

A later DAT machine I bought, a Tascam portable pro deck, has the SCMS
stripped by default. (It takes in digital signals and writes to the DAT
with the SCMS code set to "unlimited number of digital copies allowed.")

Likewise, a professional CD writer I own (HHB) bypasses SCMS. (Not just
allowing a digital copy to be made, but making the resulting CD-R
copyable freely.)

A friend of mine bought his DVD player on EBay: it bypasses all region
coding (i.e., it makes all DVDs "region-free"). Region coding is a
different issue, but part of the DRM universe.

Until George W. Bush and the Carlyle Group start putting money into
these things and thus discover that SCMS strippers are terrorist tools,
such tools will likely continue to be available.

"Use a logic analyzer, go to jail."

--Tim May
into you." -- Nietzsche