Idea: The ultimate CD/DVD auditing tool

Mike Rosing eresrch at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 8 10:47:59 PDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, stuart wrote:

> Now, when DRM gets into windows, I'm sure Virtual Audio Cable will stop
> working, RealAudio will stop making linux clients (why bother?), RIAA
> will (try to) make CDs that can only be played with windows clients,
> etc. Then someone will crack the formats of the audio streams and the
> CDs, and round and round she goes, where she stops, nobody knows.
>
> As things are now, it's easy to get the digital signal before it reaches
> the DAC, you don't need to go to DAC -> ADC, you don't need to plug your
> line-out to your line-in and degrade your signal.
>
> If the RIAA get their content to only work on Windows-type boxes, and if
> MS gets DRM to work in their Windows, things will become much more
> difficult. But these are big ifs that can quite possibly be circumvented
> even if they do come to fruition. There's always high-end sound cards
> that don't even use analog.
>
> DRM is not going to stop file sharing.
> They're trying to catch smoke with nets.

Yup, check out this dvd unit:
http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/daewoo5800.htm
where it says: "Custom modification with code free automatic and manual
selection of regions and macrovision disabled. Excellent quality dvd
player with all the features."

and
"Price just reduced by over $100.  Was 249.00
Now only $129.00

The Daewoo 5800 custom modification  has been designed to make life a lot
less complicated.  It has superb Audio and video components outperforming
major brands such as Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer. "

So it won't be long before bypass systems will be commercially available.
At least in some parts of the _free_ world.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike