Idea: The ultimate CD/DVD auditing tool

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Sun Jul 6 22:30:05 PDT 2003

Thomas Shaddup writes:
> As a welcomed side effect, not only we'd get a device for circumvention of
> just about any contemporary (and possibly a good deal of the future ones)
> optical media "protections"

This is only for the minimal forms of "protection" which are designed to
work with existing CD/DVD players.   If you look at the new audio formats
like SACD, they use encrypted data.  All your lasers won't do you any
good unless you can pry a key (and the algorithm!) out of a consumer
player, which won't be easy assuming it is in a tamper-resistant unit.
And you can bet the industry won't make the mistake again of allowing
software-based players, as they did with the DeCSS affair.

In short, you're fighting yesterday's war.  Try looking ahead a bit to
see where the battlegrounds of the future will be contested.