Idea: The ultimate CD/DVD auditing tool

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Jul 7 05:00:48 PDT 2003

At 02:33 AM 7/7/03 +0300, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
>On 2003-07-06, Major Variola (ret) uttered to cypherpunks at lne.com:
>
>>There's a good reason why, viz: it would cost the drive developer to
>>allow or export this flexibility.
>
>I'd guess either because of a) terminal stupidity or b) benefits to
scale
>in making it sure people go with compatibility. As there probably have
>be some limits to how stupid engineers capable of making things like
>writable CD's can be, I'd have to go with the second alternative.

Frankly its obvious you haven't worked (or thought about
the constraints) on a commercial
product with a deadline / resource constraints
or worked on something extremely cost sensitive
like commodity drives/chipsets.

Here, ponder this: why are there no oxygen sensor
or manifold temperature or ignition-phase (etc) displays
in ordinary cars?
(Although there probably are in custom race cars)  You
know (much like the analog CD signal) they're being measured
and used by the ECU.  So, why not?
Chew on that one for a while, grasshopper.

Economics is applied physics.